Sunday 6 June 2010

A tricky problem or just Thing 4




Hooray. - I've done! I've actually uploaded a screenshot to the blog! .... Well, at least I think I have. At the moment, it just looks like text, but when I click preview it does show the picture, so hopefully when this entry is posted the picture will look like a picture.

Actually, this exercise has involved a fair amount of cursing and pulling out of hair. At one point, I was sorely tempted to throw all my toys out of the pram and not play anymore. However, I decided to sleep on it and try again.

The problems were: not having any image software on my office pc, trying unsuccessfully to get a screenshot into my photo software at home, and trying to do the same thing on a Mac which has no print screen key.

However, a bit of sleep and a day to calm down and face the computer again, along with success in fixing another computer problem in the meantime, meant I was ready to face the challenge again! A quick bit of googling and the shortcut for 'take a screen shot on a Mac' was found, and once I'd worked out that it had automatically saved it to the desktop it was a fairly straightforward job to upload it. I must admit, though, that just after I'd uploaded it the phone rang and I saved the blog entry with just the screenshot in it and when I came back into the blog I couldn't find the blasted thing! So the shot above is actually a second upload.

I have had a chance to look at a few other posts and have learnt from Ange that I'm probably a journaler blogger, and I also think that my presentation is a bit basic. No handy paragraph titles here. Maybe that will come on later, but for now learning the basics is enough for me.

Now, I see that it is time for Things 1 & 2 to get a mention. This will be brief as these things were done over a week ago and, to be honest, that stuff is all in the past and a distant memory. Luckily, I didn't have to create a Google ID as I already had one, but I did have to create an iGoogle page and, as I recall, the initial setting up was easy-peasy. However, the finished creation looked far too busy and cluttered so I then had a "fun" time - not, trying to organise the blasted gadgets into different sections and I deleted a whole load too. Anyway, it got done but I have to say, it looks pretty boring compared to some of the other screenshots of igoogle pages I've checked out in the other blogs. I will have to call it a work in progress and hope I can improve it throughout the course.

Looking back over Thing 2 instructions I see I added an RSS feed for 23 Things to my iGoogle page. I think this must have been pretty straightforward as I don't really recall doing it. I do remember thinking I must add a few more feeds, but haven't done so yet and I also haven't really used the feed that I've got properly. Still, blogging about it has meant that I've had another look at it, and I think I can now get to the 23 Things pages without having to google for them. Now that's got to be an improvement.


1 comment:

  1. Well, Evans above, you've saved my sanity! I couldn't download a photoeditor and it was all getting too much and then I read your post and realised I was not alone in reaching a tantrum threshold! I shall have another go!

    ReplyDelete