Friday 4 June 2010

Baby-stepping through 23 things

Hi Y'all (I guess you guys running 23 Things might read this, but it's hard to imagine anyone else reading it.)

This is my first entry of my first blog.

It seems to me that keeping a blog is just like keeping a diary. It's something I've fancied doing - writing a diary that is - and occasionally started, but for one reason or another never managed to keep going for more than a few weeks. I wonder whether blogging will end up being a flash-in-the-pan?

For now though, with 23 Things to keep me going I think I will stick to it until the end of the programme - at least.

So, I work in the UL but I'm not a Librarian. Despite this (drawback?) I thought it would still be a good idea to take part in 23 Things and I like the fact that I can work through it at basically my own pace and do it all online without having to go to group seminars or any meetings. This is because I work part-time and my time is not really my own. When I'm at work I have to be at my desk and not at tutorials or seminars etc.

I'm not super up-to-date with internet technology so I think I am going to learn a lot. I'm interested, in general, about what the Internet can do and how you can do it, but I don't have the time or the patience to spend hours researching what is available. So having some pointers and help through 23 Things, I hope, will be a fast-track through to being more au-fait with the possibilities out there. Having completed (almost!) the first 3 things, I have already done things online which I hadn't done before. I must admit that I found setting up the iGoogle page pretty tricky and I'm not 100% convinced of it's value, but maybe I will change my opinion by the end of this programme. I don't have any experience of Web 2.0. I'm not actually sure what it is. I do use Facebook and have even posted up some photos for family/friends to look at, but as for Twitter or anything else, they are still one step beyond...

I plan to read up some of the links about blogging in general and maybe learn whether it is a bit more than just a bit of navel gazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment