Friday 9 July 2010

A Welcome Break

Phew, I for one am glad of a learning pause. For some of us there has been a lot of new information to take on board. When I signed up I thought, yes an hour or so a week, I can fit that in. But in practice I think it takes a lot longer than an hour a week to come to grips with and start to understand the basics of what each Thing offers. There have been a few quick Things that have been either easy to do, or that I have already used and therefore don't require the same level of time to get to know. It has been difficult to keep up with reading other blogs. I tend to be an all or nothing type of person - I either want to know it all, or nothing. I either read all the blogs or none. Hopefully the blogs will be archived so that people can catch up with reading them after the course has finished. Some blogs are informative with hints and tips, recommendations etc, others are funny and others make you realize you aren't the only one struggling. Also, I've been really grateful for the help I've had with some of the Things through the comments sections. BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to follow comments and how to do that?

And to cover some of the questions:
Yes, my skills and knowledge have definitely improved. If on a scale of 1-10, I was a 1 or 2 when I started, I think I'm probably a 6 or 7 now. My toes have definitely dipped in and I will continue to wade in upto my knees, and as 23 Things often leads on to several other Things, I'm sure that I'll eventually get wet upto my middle! So, considering my competence wasn't great as I'd never tried the majority of the Things, I guess I must say that I do feel more competent, and also more confident in going on to try both the Things and other things that lead on from them. It is also nice to give my self permission to actually use my time to do the Things, because I've found that the whole programme does eat time, whether through exploring the new Things myself or reading others' blogs about their Things.  I have tried recommending Things to other people, but they tend to fall into two categories - 1. They already know about it; 2. They know nothing about it, and are not interested in finding out more!

I hope to be able to apply what I've learnt about the Things as my department explores having its own Facebook page and considers whether to set up a blog. I will use Doodle again when I have to organize meetings, and I'm regularly using my Google calendar again.

I took the VARK questionnaire and although I would say I learn quickest from watching someone else do the thing I'm trying to learn, according to VARK I learn best through reading/writing. So I guess the activities have suited my learning style - plenty of reading and then some doing.

I am glad that I am taking part in 23 Things. It has made me more aware of the different opportunities out there, and as we, as a Library as a whole, and as departments individually, are making more use of these technologies I feel that I am in with a chance of keeping up or even being ahead of the changes.

Here's to the next 10 Things!



5 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same completist attitude - I have to read all the blogs and all the comments. There is so much useful, funny or interesting stuff on the blogs and comments, as you say.

    I used Josh H's listing of comment feeds, created an OPML file (using OPML Builder as he recommends) and then imported that file into my Google Reader account. I have had to add some extra ones manually as I've gone along I think.

    LK also added a full listing to Netvibes on a page here but I have to say I prefer having it in Google Reader as it's easier to keep track of what I have and haven't read.

    Hope that helps!

    Celine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Celine. I will check it out. I get any comments people make on this blog emailed to me, but will you receive an email saying that I've posted a comment after, and replying to, your comment, or will you have to see it in your Reader feed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's an option to get email updates when a reply is posted but I never bother with that as I check it on my Reader feed anyway (obsessively)

    Celine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are learning lots. Perhaps you will keep this up after you finish the course. It's a good way of keeping in touch. Perhaps you might even join Facebook - even Dad is on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Blogger, there's a 'subscribed by email' link at the bottom of the comment box. So, when I submit this comment I'll click that and then get any further comments that might be added here. If you're logged in to Blogger, that link works even if you're not leaving a comment - so I could subscribe by email to these comments without commenting myself. Or I could click on the 'Subscribe to post comments' link right at the bottom of the page if I want the comments to go to my RSS reader instead.

    There are similar functions in Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete