Friday 30 July 2010

Facebook & Linked In

Facebook
I have had a Facebook account for a while. I hadn't planned on getting one, but when all your friends are communicating online you feel left out of the conversation as such. So I joined up so that I could keep up with what everyone was doing without having to see them or talk to them. Lovely! Information for little effort.

However, libraries on Facebook, at the moment from what I've seen (which may not be enough), is pretty much a waste of time. Facebook is a social network not a place of work or business. Who wants to check up on what the UL is doing or any other library on FB? Just go to that particular library's website, that's what I'd do. Having checked out the UL's FB page and it's website I'd say that there's much more chance of the website being up to date than the FB page. Maybe it's early days for the UL Facebook pages, but I wonder whether having a FB page (ie a Facebook presence) is as far as it goes.

LinkedIn
LinkedIn was mildly interesting, but as I didn't sign up maybe I didn't get the full effect. I presume it's a handy resource for people working in recruitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment